The wrong kind of exciting night
So Draya & I had a bit of excitement here last night, and we went on an unexpected outing. Daddy was working late. Draya & I were dancing to 'Happy Day'. I was holding her by her 2 hands and swinging her. There was a pop. Draya was crying and holding her right arm. I thought for sure I had sprained her wrist! I looked up sprain care in my first aid book and tried to put ice on it. She wasn't overly cooperative. I called health link for advise. She watched Treehouse. After 30-40 min on hold I spoke to a very nice nurse. When I tried to inspect Draya's arm for her Draya howled. There was no swelling or discolouration but she was obviously hurting. The nurse suggested that I take Draya to the Emergency Centre on 50 st and 140 ave. I didn't even know that there was one there. It 's a very nice facility. I bundled Draya into her snow suit, with her sore arm tucked inside, and off we went. All the way there she alternated back & forth between singing 'Wheels on the Bus' with me and whimpering. The staff at the medical centre saw us fairly quickly - there were only 4 people ahead of us. We were put in a little room and then they took us for an x-ray. While the technician & I were taking a wailing Draya out of her sweater and aligning on the equipment there was another pop. Next thing you know she has stopt cradling her arm and she's sucking her thumb as usual.
The doctor, who was also very nice, said it was a classic case if nursemaid's elbow. He showed me how to pop it back into place if it ever happens again and gave Draya juice.
It was 11 pm when we got home and went to bed. Daddy got home from work at 11:30.
Labels: hospital visit, owie

1 Comments:
Eeek! It's so scary when our babies get hurt. I'm glad you got seem quickly because that is not usually the case at that medical centre. I waited there for about 8 hours once with a child under one who had a fever. And I know M had a bad experience there with having to wait overly long. I'm really glad that didn't happen to you!
I always just head straight to the Stollery if we have an emergency because they have the paediatric emerg there.
Post a Comment
<< Home