Daycare Blues
So Draya's first day at daycare yesterday started of well... She dived into playing and exploring and barely noticed when I left. She took a nap in the stroller when they went for a walk in the morning and ate lunch well. But... at about 1:00 she got tired and started to cry. Three different ladies tried rocking/cuddling her to sleep. One almost succeeded but then a sound from the main room woke her again and she started to sob. Finally just after 2 they called me. So I went and picked her up. Next week I'm going to bring in a sweater or article of clothing that smells like me. And a few of her favourite stuffed animals. We might also try playing music at nap time. Something to set a comfy, relaxing environment that they can duplicate at the daycare.
We might also look into sending her twice a week. Once a week might not be enough to get her climatized to it. We'll see. The people there are really great and the kids she's with are close to her age (13 months & 14 months). I knew that napping could end up being an issue. She's so used to going full tilt then conking out on mom or dad. And she does get cranky/fussy when she's tired.

2 Comments:
You might want to try having you or K stay with her at the daycare a few times so she can get comfortable with the daycare ladies. Once she knows them she might feel better about staying with them. After all, right now they are strangers, once she gets to know them she will realize that they are nice after all.
K did that 2 weeks ago and everything went just fine. I stayed for a little while on Wednesday morning and she barely noticed I was there. I watched her in the baby room for a while through a window and she didn't seem to care that I had left either. You know Draya, she likes everyone and is usually very easy going even when it comes to strangers.
The big issue is naptime routine and getting cranky when she's tired but fighting sleep. There are too many distractions in the new space. I'm debating taking my lunch hour to go down at about 1:30 and put her down for a nap myself. It's only when she's tired that she really misses mommy.
Post a Comment
<< Home